Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sumo Suits

I had a fantastic day today, the ship has been really busy both ways, but I still managed to get off the ship for a few hours this afternoon. We arrived in Grand Bahama early so I had more time than I had anticipated. I joined the Beach and Shopping Tour and spent my afternoon at Taino Beach. I didn’t join the tour for the shopping portion, as I just wanted to relax at the resort. I got my cocktail from the cave bar and headed to one of the hammocks by the pool. There are always a variety of pool and beach games taking place in the afternoons at the resort and today they had sumo wrestling. What a blast! Adults and kids dress up in these huge padded sumo suits, get onto a padded mat and start wrestling. I have never laughed so hard; it was the funniest thing to watch. All they can do is bump into one another and try to knock the other contestant down, and once they go over it is damn near impossible to stand back up again without any help. There they lay on the mat rocking back and forth trying to get back up…. Maybe you have to see it to really appreciate exactly how funny it is. The best was seeing the kids knock down their parents and jump up and down with excitement when they couldn’t get back up again and they won the game. After watching the games for a while I went for a walk along Taino beach before heading for the water taxi to Port Lucaya so that I could meet up with the tour bus in Port Lucaya in time to get back to the ship.

No comments: