Monday, January 19, 2009

Scuba Diving

I have never had the opportunity to learn to dive, but have heard that the courses are quite expensive. My husband loves diving and I often wonder what it would be like. I am a little worried about spending hundreds of dollars on certification only to find out I don’t really enjoy it. Today however, I discovered the perfect solution. UNEXSO (Under Water Explorers Society) offers a Discover Scuba Diving program. Grand Bahama is a popular place to Scuba Dive and apparently, even if you have absolutely no experience with this thrilling sport, you can do just that. The program that UNEXSO offers is a great way for just about anybody to get acquainted quickly with the ins and outs of scuba diving. They have special lightweight equipment that is especially helpful for people of smaller build. The program starts with a simple training course that gets you around all the complications of certification while still adequately preparing you for a completely safe dive. You spend some time in a classroom where you are taught the basics of how to safely use the gear, before you go out to a special pool where you can try on the gear for yourself and get used to the way it operates. This training in an actual underwater environment is under constant supervision and professionals are right next to you to answer questions and provide assistance. Next comes the chance to head out for some diving off the coast. A short boat ride out to a very shallow reef site, under the care of an instructor, you get a chance to explore an amazing tropical phenomenon. The range of different creatures living in a reef, I am told is absolutely stunning. Now all I have to do it build up the courage and then find the time to go. If I like it, I will go back to UNEXSO as they also offer the full certification courses.

No comments: