Friday, January 16, 2009

Peterson Cay

Today I went on the Peterson Cay Kayak & Snorkel Tour. Peterson Cay, one of the smallest National Parks in the Bahamas is one mile off the southern shore of Grand Bahama. The Bahamas National Trust manages Peterson Cay National Park and all other national parks in The Islands of The Bahamas.

Access to Peterson Cay National Park is by boat only, hence the Kayak portion of this tour. As we approached Peterson Cay our guide lead us with extreme care so that we paddled through the shallow sandy areas away from coral reefs.

The snorkeling was excellent. The clear blue shallow waters are perfect for people that are either not strong swimmers or first timers While snorkeling around the coral and sunken rocks I saw schools of tropical fish, soft corals and sea fans. I even think I saw a barracuda.

After about 45 minutes of snorkeling I hit the beach. You can snorkel for longer if you wish, but I was ready to relax. After all, we still had to kayak back. There are very few shaded areas, so lots of sunscreen is recommended. You may also want to bring along some drinking water. I had both, so I laid my towel down on the white sandy beach and enjoyed 90 minutes of reading and relaxation on this little piece of paradise.

Before I knew it, it was time for Discovery guests to head back to the ship. Towels, books and any garbage we may have had were packed up and we headed back to our kayaks for the 30-minute kayak back to shore.

The passengers are disappointed to have to leave the Island and are not looking forward to going home. I don’t mind, as I get to do it all over again tomorrow. What a job!

No comments: