Friday, September 3, 2010

Robinson Crusoe Beach Party


Thank God it's Friday! Here we are gearing up for Labor Day Weekend and I hope you all have a good one.


Another great Shore Excursion Discovery offers to their passengers is the Robinson Crusoe Beach Party which lasts approximately five hours. It is the same crew and boat as the Bahama Mama Party Cruise. They are a great group on board and lots of fun. They offer free Bahama Mamas, lemonade for the kids and beers for $3.00 each. The crew took us to a reef for some snorkeling. The water was rough so everyone had to wear a life vest around their torso. They throw bread in the water to attract the fish. You are supposed to snorkel on a buddy system but I had no buddy. So I went off on my own and Captain William was kind enough to put on his gear and snorkel with me. He took me around the whole reef, told me when I needed to clear my mask and dove down to feed the fish and bring me starfish so I could touch them and others could take pictures. I unfortunately did not have an underwater camera. We saw several different types of sergeant majors, parrot fish, grunts, snapper, beautiful blue fish, fire, brain and other types of coral. No one wanted to get out of the water but it was time to move on. I again asked about the wildlife and was told they do have quite a few snakes and wild boars on the Island. They took us to another beach, where lunch was set up…..peas and rice, ribs and chicken with Bahama Mamas, lemonade and water. I saw my first dogs on the Island and we were feeding them as they looked a little hungry. We had an egg throwing contest for a bottle of rum and then a game of volley ball with the girls against the guys. I hung out with my Kayak Adventure family and paired up with the son for the egg throwing since he had been my kayaking partner the day before. I also managed to speak to the Mother of the group. It turns out they won a free cruise on Discovery when they sailed over and they are all planning on coming back to Grand Bahama in December. After our games, we packed everything up and it was time to go back to Port Lucaya. There was dancing on board on the way and everyone had a really nice day.

No comments: