Thursday, September 23, 2010

Swim with the Dolphins




I’m back!

What exciting things do I have to tell you today? I booked another shore excursion on Discovery Sun and this time I chose to swim with the dolphins. It is something I always wanted to do. I did the dolphin encounter about ten years ago with the same company, UNEXSO, in Grand Bahama Island. Back then we went by boat to a lagoon and got on a platform where a dolphin swims up and you can touch and pet it, the trainers give you interesting facts and background and then you get some great pictures.

This time around I went to the lagoon and they gave me some fins to wear. I jumped in the water and met Kayla, a 34 year old female dolphin. I thought I would be so scared to be so close to a mammal so much bigger than I but she was incredibly gentle. She swam right next to me almost the whole time…if I turned, she turned and if I switched directions so did she. The training is incredible and her attention span is quite good. The trainer showed me hand signals…if I waived my hands – she waived her fins, if I went in a circle – so did she, if I splashed her with water – she splashed me back. She of course was very happy with her fish treats for her perfect performance. It was an amazing experience and I purchased some beautiful pictures. I even got a dolphin hug and a kiss! Highly recommended.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow awsom:)