Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scuba at Viva

Good day to you!
I have to tell you about my latest visit to Grand Bahama Island. I took a few days off work and decided to go and get my Scuba Diving certification. I sailed on board Discovery Sun and stayed at the Wyndham Viva Fortuna Beach, where they have a PADI certified Scuba Team. They were all fantastic. Most of my friends that are certified take a three month course and I managed to do it in four days. It was pretty intense but so well worth it. You follow a book and do quizes, watch videos, do training in the pool and then out in the ocean. I honestly didn’t think I could do it as I was very nervous and did not have much snorkeling experience prior to this. My Instructor, Kelly, was amazing; she was so patient and never gave up on me. I was determined not to come back without a certification and it was a wonderful feeling to be able to complete that. The reefs and the fish are so beautiful and I even managed to see a shark before leaving. I simply cannot wait to go back and just dive for fun. I am told they have shark dives and a sunken tugboat that you can go to. So much to do and so little time!

The Wyndham Viva Fortuna was a perfect setting to complete my mission. Check out the Viva virtual tour on the attached link. The beach is really nice and the resort is all inclusive. They have all kinds of things going on such as dance lessons, archery, karaoke, shows, snorkeling, non motorized water sports, chess, bicycles and you can even learn how to trapeze (that is my next mission). They have young people from many different countries that perform. The food is really good and they also have two upscale restaurants that you need to make reservations for as well as a stand on the beach where they make hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers and fries…..and another for pizza at night. They even have a disco. All of this on one property and you really don’t have to leave for anything since they also have a little store and a boutique. The main buildings are not air conditioned but the rooms and upscale restaurants are. It is very European but yet you are in The Bahamas. It was such a pleasure to not have to take my purse and wallet everywhere with me. I could really get used to this all inclusive concept. My only suggestion would be to reserve an ocean view room since it is a stunning panorama. This one gets a thumbs up!

No comments: