Monday, August 23, 2010

July & August Thursdays in Grand Bahama




Hello again!

I finally made it back to Freeport. Upon my arrival, the cab driver on the way to the resort had mentioned a Goombay Junkanoo Festival that takes place on Thursday evenings in July and August. I saw it advertised again when I checked in at The Reef Our Lucaya Resort, where they offered free transportation at a scheduled time. I asked about it at my favorite conch shack, Billy Joe’s, and they also recommended it. My friends and I decided it sounded like a fun way to spend the evening. There was music and many stands with Bahamian crafts, foods and drinks. The best was the Junkanoo parade that they had with all of the beautifully colored & beaded costumes and musical instruments. Everyone was dancing and joining the parade in their procession down the street. It was very energizing and a nice way to start off a truly Bahamian vacation.

No comments: